Women are judged differently than men in leadership positions. Women who appear “too powerful” can be seen as threatening. According to research, to be more successful and approachable, women have to balance their power with likeability. Here is how:
- Use we, ours, instead of I, me, my
- Be more indirect than direct
- Smile more and use happy expressions
- Be careful when problem solving to avoid looking like you are finding fault with everything
- Use eye contact often when listening
- When disagreeing, build a bridge, “I can see your point, but this might be another way to look at it.”
What is a challenge you have faced in becoming a powerful leader? It would be great to hear your story.